So you’ve decided to rent a beach house this summer on Cape Cod for your next trip or family vacation. Great! But where do you begin? Vacation rental websites can be more overwhelming than helpful. That’s where we come in! Allison, our Cape Cod concierge, was born and raised on the Cape and has helped her clients, friends and family find the perfect Cape Cod rental. Here are her insider tips for a successful visit.
Ideally you want to begin planning your summer vacation right after the holidays. If you do so, you will have a larger selection to choose from. When you begin your early search, ask about early booking discounts. Sometimes you’ll find that in exchange for the security of having their property rented, an owner and agent will offer a discount– sometimes as much as 10%! But don’t worry if you didn’t get a jump start, there are some advantages for a late planner.
Know What You Want
- Need to bring Buster? Make sure pets are allowed.
- Have small children? Make sure the house is equipped with baby gates for the stairs.
- Vacationing with an older family member who isn’t very mobile? You might want to make sure you’re only a short walk from the beach and there is a ramp or first floor bedroom available.
- Planning on hosting cookouts? Ask if the grill is in good shape. Get the details in writing and bring them with you to be sure everything is as-promised. Try to book your clambake or catered BBQ ASAP as everyone books up months in advance.
- Have your heart set on an outdoor shower? Make sure to ask before committing.
- Planning on spending the entire time on the beach? Find out how long of a walk the rental is from the sandy shore.
Be sure you have the name and phone number of someone you can call if anything goes wrong during your stay. Before you arrive, have our team get your rental ready so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy your vacation on Day 1.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2016 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.