Moving can be stressful and exhausting. Not only does it feel like there are a million things to do before the big day, but you also can’t predict things like weather and traffic. And, if you’re in Boston like us- often “moving day” is the same for hundreds of people across the city. (That means, hundreds of moving trucks blocking the roads!) Don’t sweat yet; as long as you plan ahead and get help when you need it, you’ll have a smooth move to your new home.
Five moving tips to help you get started
- Obtain more than one moving quote. Compare estimates, references and costs.
- Take photos to create a digital inventory of your items.
- Secure any travel or hotel arrangements that you may need during your move–for you, your children and/or pets.
- Make a plan for the day of your move. Who is going to be on site to monitor the packing and moving? Who is going to coordinate the arrival of the cleaners or locksmith?
- Research local resources before you move. Find a new school, a new doctor and make sure you know where the local dry cleaners and grocery stores are so you can pick up things you need right away.
Don’t rely on friends and family to get you through the move. Let experts like us find resources, make contact with vendors, plan timelines, and even pack all of your possessions. Our team will help you sort through your moving to do lists, complete items on the to do list, and send you reminders about important dates. Learn more about our Simplified Moves services.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2016 and has been completely revamped and updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.